The Lion & Lamb
The Lion and Lamb pub was located in what is now 25 & 27 High Street, an adjoining pair of thatched cottages thought to be 17th–18th century (a date of 1828 appears on the left-hand chimney). These were situated next to the bakehouse (now Millford House, 23 High Street) and were once known as Providence Row. The 1834 Enclosure Awards and the 1841 census list the cottage and garden as belonging to William Warboys (age 40 in 1841), an agricultural labourer, and his wife Rebbecca (age 22). The 1851 census gives William Warboys (age 50) as brewer and victualler, and also lists his (possibly second?) wife Susanna (age 43) and children Caroline (age 18), Malachi (age 12), Esther (age 10), Elizabeth (age 7) and William (age 4). William Warboys (Sr), along with a wife and at least two of his children (Esther and William) continued to live at the Lion and Lamb until the 1870s. It appears that the William (Sr) worked as a farmer as well as a publican while Esther worked as a dressmaker: the 1871 census lists William (now age 70) as a farmer of 32 acres, wife Susan (age 65), Esther (age 29) as a dressmaker, and William (age 24) as farmer’s son.
The Cambridge Chronicle news reports of this period include several mentions of inquests at the Lion and Lamb, including on Richard Morris (1843) who died after being drawn into a threshing machine, and on Joseph Kefford (1853) who was found dead in bed (age 36) having died by “visitation of God”. An Agricultural Society meeting is recorded in November 1953 and several ploughing dinners and meetings 1853–1864.
Change came in 1878, and on 2nd April the freehold cottage, barn and other buildings were conveyed to Frederick Bailey, brewer of Burleigh House (the Star Brewery) Cambridge. Frederick also owned the Harvest Home pub in Oakington, which he had acquired by 1882. Records give Walter Blake (publican and gardener) and his wife Mary as tenants in 1879 and 1881; Isaac Carter as tenant in 1883, 1884, and 1888; John Smith (publican and farm labourer) with wife Emma as tenants 1891 and 1892; and Charles Knightley (beer retailer) 1896, 1900, 1904 and 1908. Frederick Bailey of the Star Brewery remained as owner until 1889, when he sold out to Charles Armstrong (a brewer from Chesterfield). The barn and stables were transferred to Frederick’s son Harold Barber Bailey.
The Lion and Lamb closed in 1909 and was conveyed to Ernest Reed Papworth (son of Charles) as a private dwelling. Ernest Papworth was the baker and miller of Millford House (23 High Street) adjacent to the Lion and Lamb. Charles Knightley (the last tenant) continued to occupy the former Lion and Lamb until at least 1915. The building was rented to various tenants including Herbert and Gwendoline Brassnett (nee Papworth) to whom the property was conveyed in 1933. The second cottage (nearer to the bakehouse) was occupied 1926–1932 by Arthur and Margaret Smith and their daughter Stella (later Jenkins), and 1932–c.1939 by Walter and Winifred Stearn and their daughter Vima (later Linney).