The Angels lived here from the early seventies to 2012; they bought it from Mr Trenerry, a bank manager we think. A separate garage was built in or just after 2000, on huge concrete tubes sunk into the ground because the footings had filled with water. The house was extended in 2014.

2014 extension

The first owners are listed in the 1965 electoral role as “Bendal, Margaret R.” and “Bendal, Terence J.” The house name is given as “Rocroy“.

A conveyance dated 17 Feb 1964 between Bertha Harriet Radford (widow) of 15 Mill Road and Terence James Bendall of St. Neot’s Road, Hardwick, states £925 for “all that piece or parcel of land having frontage to Station Road and Church Street (sometimes called Mill Road) Oakington in the County of Cambridge which said piece or parcel of land forms part of an Enclosure of land called Towns End Close having an area of one acre… the purchaser… hereby covenants… not to erect more than one private dwelling house on the premises…”

This document also refers to a conveyance on 30th June 1919 between the parties Edward Charles Papworth and Arthur Flatman Radford, and a mortgage the same year associated with Arthur Radford. 10 May 1960 Grant of Probate of the will of Arthur Flatman Radford.

However the deed of 5 Aug 1970 selling the house to Raymond and Hannah A has the Vendors listed as Charles Rawson Trenerry and Millicent Wright Trenerry – the house is called “Corner Cottage 1 Mill Road (formerly “Rocroy”)”.  HA is not sure the Bendalls actually lived in the house although the bought the land and built it – she thinks they were just builders.

JP

Back to Mill Road

Leave a Reply