Myrtle Cottage was built in 1884 on part of an enclosure know as ‘Town End Close’. It was originally owned by J Morris & C Morris, who were sisters. The Morris family were reputably the only Oakington residents to be listed in ‘Who’s Who’, however this has not been verified as yet.
In 24th August 1917 it was purchased by Bernard Albert Doggett a farmer. He was married to Olive Claydon on the 28th January 1927. Unfortunately Bernard died on the 6th June 1936.
Olive Doggett rented Meadow Farm, for both arable and livestock. Her diary was to the left of the original drive on High Street. In 1963 she purchased a building plot from BH Radford of ‘Hillcroft Cottage’ on Mill Road which was previously part of Hillcroft’s garden, so that no one who build a house to over look her garden. She lived there until she died on the 15th November 1998 aged 97.
In 2000 the current owners extended Myrtle Cottage and in 2002 built a garage & workshop known as ‘Windmill Barn’ on the plot of land purchased in 1963 and created a new drive off Mill Road.
At the time of writing in 2023 Myrtle Cottage has only had three family owners in 139 years!